Vermont Dairy in the Classroom Grant Application is OPEN!
Posted on June 13, 2019
Bring the Vermont Dairy in the Classroom program to you and your class!
Dairy in the Classroom is a hands-on, inquiry based program for Vermont teachers and students, grades PK-6. It includes a variety of learner-centered activities related to dairy farming and the production of dairy products, as well as a field trip to a local dairy farm. Students will make and taste-test butter, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and other value-added products. The program is customized to meet the needs of each classroom.
This year, the Dairy in the Classroom program will include:
- Three 75 minute classroom visits by a Dairy Educator at no cost to the school
- A class field trip to a local dairy farm (includes $100 to school for transportation costs, if needed)
- A free full-day teacher professional development workshop (fall 2019 - date TBD) filled with hands-on experiential activities on a dairy farm with curriculum integration assistance.
Who is eligible to apply? Any PK-6 grade teacher in Vermont! Classes will be selected based on geographic distribution, program’s inclusion into ongoing Farm to School efforts, and stated follow-up plans. Each classroom is asked to complete a separate application. Selected classes (of no more than 25 students) will be offered in Fall 2019.
Classroom teachers will be asked to:
- Commit to, and participate in all three classroom lessons and assisting educator in providing documentation (i.e. photos, pre- and post tests).
- Take their class on a field trip to a local dairy farm within the calendar year 2019 (support identifying a local dairy farm will be available if needed).
- Participate in a professional development experience (fall 2019, location/date TBD)
A program representative will contact you directly about your application’s status.