Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Spinach in a Brown Butter and Balsamic Sauce
Team: EMS Culinary Club
Host School: Edmunds Middle School
Age Group: Middle School
- 1 cup of mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup of ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. + ¼ tsp. Salt (divided)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3-4 cups flour
- 1 ½ pounds mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion
- 16 tbs. butter (divided)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 sprigs of fresh Rosemary (divided)
- 10 sprigs of fresh Thyme (divided)
- ⅓ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 5oz fresh spinach
- 4oz goat cheese
Recipe adapted from https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/crispy-brown-butter-sweet-potato-gnocch...
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into quarters. Add to water and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Slice the onion into strips - set aside. Melt 4tbs. of butter in a large stock pot. Once melted, add onion and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the stock pot with 4tbs. more of butter. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once sweet potato is soft enough, mash it so it has a smooth consistency.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil.
- Mince garlic, rosemary and thyme. Add to the onion and mushroom. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make gnocchi by combining the mashed sweet potato, ricotta, eggs, 1 tsp. salt and parmesan. Add flour (the amount depending on how sticky the dough is). Roll into a log shape and cut it into 4 equal pieces. Cut each of those quarters in half and roll them into a snake shape, about ½ an inch thick. Then cut it into 1 inch pieces. Add to boiling water. As gnocchi floats to the top of the water, remove them and place them in a colander.
- Add balsamic vinegar to onion and mushroom. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove from heat and add spinach.
- Divide the boiled gnocchi into 4 batches. Melt 2 tbs. of butter in a frying pan and add in the first batch and fry at a high heat until golden brown - about 5 minutes. Add to pot with onion, mushroom and spinach. Repeat with the remaining 3 batches and 6 tbs. of butter.
- Once all of the gnocchi has been fried, return the stock pot with everything in it to the stove and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the gnocchi with goat cheese and fresh herb garnishes!