Local Moo Shu Spring Rolls with Sesame Ginger Sauce
Team: We're Peelin' Grate
Host School: Cedar Circle Farm & Education Center
Age Group: Middle School
Moo Shu Pancakes Ingredients:
3 cups King Arthur organic all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoon organic sesame oil, or more as needed
Tofu Marinade/Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup organic tamari sauce
¼ cup organic rice vinegar
¼ cup organic sesame oil
1 clove peeled CCF organic garlic
1 small organic ginger root
1teaspoon ground organic coriander
Dash of organic cayenne
2 lb extra firm organic tofu
½ cup Organic maple syrup, reserved
2 T Organic sesame seeds, reserved
Organic sunflower oil for frying
Vegetable Filling Ingredients:
3-4 medium CCF organic beets
1 medium CCF organic cabbage
2-3 each CCF organic carrots
2 each CCF organic Gilfeather turnips
2-3 each CCF organic greens from sprouting onions
1 bunch Organic cilantro
12 each CCF organic watermelon radish, for slicing and presentation
Moo Shu Pancake Directions:
1. Place the flour in a large bowl and stir in the salt.
2. Pour in the boiling water and stir together with a fork. (If the dough seems too dry or crumbly, stir in a little more water, up to 1/4 cup or so.)
3. Once the dough comes roughly together and it's cool enough to not burn you, knead in the bowl until all the flour is incorporated.
4. Move onto cloth and knead another minute or two, until the dough is tender, smooth, and elastic.
5. Roll dough into a foot-long rope and cut into 18 equal pieces.
6. You want the pieces to be very similar in size so they'll roll out well in pairs. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten slightly.
7. Take two dough balls and brush one flattened side of each with sesame oil. Press them together with oiled sides touching, patting them out until they're about 3 inches across.
8. Use a rolling pin, aim for an even 7-inch circle Repeat until you have 9 little pancakes.
9. Heat a nonstick over medium-low heat. Lay on one pancake and cook for a minute or so, until the bottom is browned in places and the top is showing bubbles. Flip and cook the second side for a minute, until browned in spots. Remove to a plate and pull apart like magic to reveal two super-thin pancakes!
Marinade/Dipping Sauce Directions:
1. Drain tofu. Slice tofu into ½” slices and place on towel to drain. Cover with second towel and blot. Leave to drain for 15 minutes.
2. Once tofu has drained, lightly brush each side of tofu with marinade
3. Heat nonstick pan with thin layer of sunflower oil and add a single layer of tofu. Cook tofu for about 1-2 minutes until browned. Carefully flip tofu and cook second side for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove tofu and place on towel to drain. Continue with rest of tofu.
5. For Sauce/Marinade: Micro plane garlic and ginger into a bowl. Add tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar, coriander and cayenne. Whisk with a fork to combine.
6. For Dipping Sauce: Add the maple syrup and sesame seeds to the additional marinade, stir to combine.
Vegetable Filling Directions:
1. Peel beets, carrots and turnips. Julienne carrots and turnips, cube beets into small pcs. Arrange on cutting board for assembly.
2. Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut in quarters and slice very thinly and reserve.
3. Remove greens from onions and thin slice and place next to other prepared vegetables.
4. Remove most of the stems from the cilantro and fine chop. Put in bowl for assembly.
1. Place pancake on plate. Add 2 pieces of tofu, then cabbage, carrots, beets and turnip.
2. Top with onion greens and cilantro.
3. Fill small cup with dipping sauce and place next to filled pancake.