Local Root Latkes with Sauteed Apples and Yogurt Sauce
Team: Rootin' Tootin' Veggie Slingers
Host School: Cedar Circle Farm & Education Center
Age Group: Middle School
6 medium sized potatoes, washed (CCF, organic)
2 small beets (CCF, organic)
3 medium carrots (CCF, organic)
1 Gilfeather turnip (CCF, organic)
2 eggs (local, organic)
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
Sunflower oil for frying
Sauteed Apples Ingredients:
4 firm apples like honeycrisp or granny smith, organic preferred
½ t organic cinnamon
½ t organic nutmeg
¼ t organic pink peppercorn
Pinch of salt
2 T butter
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
2 cups whole Greek yogurt (local, organic)
⅓ cup mint leaves, chopped, plus extra whole leaves for garnish
Juice from 1 organic lemon
¼ teaspoon organic cayenne
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Grate potatoes and place into colander over a bowl
2. Peel and grate beets, carrots, and turnip, and combine with potatoes in the colander, press down on veggies to eliminate extra moisture. **squeeze different types of vegetables out separately
3. Working in batches, remove excess moisture by placing a portion of the grated vegetables in a towel and wringing out well. Place wrung-out vegetables in a large bowl.
4. Add tapioca flour, salt, and eggs and combine with hands until mixture starts to bind together.
5. Over high heat, add oil to a pan. The oil should be about ¼ inch deep in the pan.
6. Once the oil is hot, use an ice cream scoop to scoop about ⅛ c of mixture directly onto the pan, gently. Flatten with a spatula to about ½ an inch thickness. Depending on your pan size, you can fit multiple latkes in the same pan.
7. Once latkes are brown on the first side, flip them. Depending on the size of your latkes, this will be approximately 3 minutes per side.
8. Remove cooked latkes and place on a paper towel or wire cooling rack to cool.
Sauteed Apple Directions:
1. Core and thinly slice the washed apples and place slices into a large bowl
2. Add the spices to the apples and toss so they are evenly coated
3. Over high heat, melt about 1 tablespoon butter
4. Sautee about the sliced apples and let caramelize for a few minutes. You might need to do this in two batches and add the other tablespoon of butter for sauteeing the second batch.
Yogurt Sauce Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine yogurt with mint, lemon juice, and spices
2. Add to latkes and use whole mint leaves on top for garnish