Team: Snap, Crackle, Pop
Host School: Twin Valley Middle High School
Age Group: Middle School
Roasted veggies: 2-3 Carrots, 2-3 Parsnip
· 1 cups raw quinoa*
· 1 scallion sliced
· 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
· 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
· 1/4 cup chopped parsley
· 2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
· 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
· 3 large eggs beaten
· olive oil for pan frying
· black pepper
· 1/2 cup olive oil
· 2 cups packed spinach leaves
· 2 cups packed basil leaves
· 1 clove garlic
· ½ of a lemon juiced
· 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Smoky Paprika & Roasted Red Pepper Ricotta:
· 1 cup Ricotta
· 1 finely chopped roasted red peppers
· 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
About 4 cups of Arugula
What you need
1/2 cup of olive oil
⅓-⅙ cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
½ cup of parmesan cheese
1 crushed clove of garlic
TOSSED IN OLIVE OIL SALT AND PEPPER.
ROASTED FOR 20 MIN
Instructions- Quinoa Cakes
1. To cook the quinoa, heat oil in a sauce pan then add quinoa until golden brown. Then add1.5 cups of water and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce to a simmer over medium low heat, and cook for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Spread quinoa out in a metal bowl, and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the scallions, garlic, parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, and panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper to the quinoa, and toss to combine. Then add the beaten eggs, and stir until the quinoa is moistened.
3. Using a ¼ cup Or ½ measuring cup, pack the quinoa mixture very firmly into the cup, then tap the cup on a flat surface to get the quinoa cake to release. Repeat with the remaining quinoa mixture.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan over medium heat, then fry the quinoa cakes for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
DIRECTIONS for Pesto
1. Place the olive oil, spinach, basil, garlic, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender add oil if needed to reach desired consistency.
1. Combine ingredients.
Combine the oil, lemon juice, parmesan, and garlic in a small jar with a lid
Tighten the lid and shake it all up. Add salt and pepper to taste