Team: Ramen Rastafarians
Host School: Flying Hooves 4-H Club
Age Group: Middle School
- 1 ½ Cups Flour: gluten free
- 2 egg
- 1 ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp water (depending on flour and humidity)
Broth and toppings:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 8 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 10 eggs (½ for each bowl served)
- About 2 cups baby spinach (about 1 ½ cups cooked in broth/ the rest raw for topping)
- 1 cup green onions/scallions, sliced
- 2 cup shredded carrots (about 1 ½ cups cooked in broth/ the rest raw for topping)
- 1 can of tiny baby corn
½ can Water chestnuts- chopped
Noodles: *** This may be doubled,
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour and salt)
- Make a well in the center beat the eggs and water inside. Slowly combine the ingredients together.
- The dough needs to rest before we stretch it! Put it in a damp cloth for at least 30 minutes
To roll it out:
- Take the dough ball and sprinkle flour generously over the dough
- Use a rolling pin to stretch the dough to about 1mm in thickness (add as much flour as needed whenever it sticks!) If it starts springing back to its original shape, let it rest for a minute or two.
- Cut thin strips of noodles
- Once you have a pile of cut noodles, toss them around with some more flour, just be careful not to break the noodles.
- Boil water and once the water boils, salt it, then sprinkle the noodles into the water. if you dump them in, they will stick. Mix the noodles around
- As long as the water is hot enough, they should start floating. boil about 3 minutes, depending on how thin the noodles are.
- Add to broth (if broth is hot enough the noodles can be added directly to the broth)
- Boil 9 cups of water and add in veggie bouillon when it boils
- Heat the sesame oil in a large pot over LOW heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until soft STIR
- Stir in the soy sauce
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer
- Cut and add the following veggies:
- Carrots (1 ½ cups)
- Mushrooms (all)
- Water chestnuts
- Baby corn
- Spinach (about 1 ½ cups)
- While the dough rises, the group making the dough can bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and cook for exactly 7 minutes for a slightly runny yoke or 8 minutes for a soft yolk. Remove eggs from the pot and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. After a few minutes, peel the shells off carefully and slice the eggs in half, lengthwise. Set aside.
- Add ramen noodles to stock mixture and cook about 2-3 minutes so the corn gets warm and the noodles soak in some of the broth
- Add completed Ramen to serving bowls
- Top each bowl with an egg, spinach, carrots,