Miso Sweet Potato Ravioli with Kale Pesto
Team: Guilford Bandits
Host School: Guilford Central School Sixth Grade
Age Group: Middle School
3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2" cubes
1/2-1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 heaping tablespoons miso
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh sage, finely minced
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon maple syrup
generous pinch of salt and pepper
1 package wonton wrappers
1/2-1 head torn kale (no stems)
1/2 cup parsley
1/2-1 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large clove garlic
juice of 1/2 lemons
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Pickled Carrot Garnish:
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. On another burner, add peeled and cubed sweet potatoes to a large saucepan half full of water and a healthy pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
3. After 5 minutes, check with a fork to see if the sweet poatoes are tender. When they are, drain in a colander.
4. Place cooked sweet potatoes, ricotta, parmesan, olive oil, miso, syrup, garlic, sage, S&P in a food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth. Mixture should be very thick and sticky, like cookie dough.
5. Lay out half of the wonton wrappers. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each wrapper. Brush edges with water. Place another wrapper on top, sealing tightly at the edges, and rounding the top with your palm to make a nice shape.
6. Boil ravioli in batches, 6 at a time, for about 1 minute. Drain gently (they break easily) and toss lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking.
1. Pulse all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
Pickled Carrot Garnish directions:
1. In a medium sized saucepan, add 1 cup of water, the vinegar, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Julienne carrots into thin, matchstick pieces. Place in a heat-proof glass dish.
3. Cover with the hot pickling liquid and let sit for one hour - the longer it sits the better.
1. On each plate, place 5 ravioli, topped with pesto
2. Garnish with parmesan curls, a few pickled carrots, and kale microgreens
3. Sprinkle lightly with pumpkin seeds.