The Shiny Shark Noodle Bowl
Team: The Cougars
Host School: Crossett Brook Middle School
Age Group: Middle School
- 14oz tofu, drained, diced
- 2 cups carrots, julienne cut
- 1 ½ cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green peppers, julienne cut
- 1 cup red peppers, julienne cut
- 1 cup red onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ canola oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 ¼ cup sunflower butter
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon white miso
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ water
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon garlic, granulated
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
16 ounces egg noodles Noodles (fresh if possible - we will make ours for the competition)*
- 2 ½ cups AP flour or a combination of whole grain white flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, soften
- 1 pinch of salt
- In a skillet pan heat 2 tablespoon canola oil, add diced tofu and pan fry until crispy. Add 2 tablespoon soy sauce. Reserve.
- In a skillet pan heat 2 tablespoon canola oil, add onions, garlic, and ginger, cook until translucid. Add carrots, green peppers, red peppers, an mushrooms, cook until tender. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Reserve.
- In a bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together until smooth. Reserve
- Meanwhile, reheat the water in a pot and boil the egg noodles until just tender, 7-10 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl mix noodles and sauce.
- To serve, place noodles in a bowl and top with stir-fry vegetables and tofu. Garnish with cilantro
*In the competition we will be making our own egg noodles. We do not recommend this step for large school food service facilities.
- In a bowl mix flour and salt. Add milk, butter and egg.
- Knead dough until smooth. Let it rest covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll the dough thing. Cut thin with a sharp knife or use a pasta maker.
- Separate the noodles well and let air dry for a few minutes before cooking.
School Food Service Variations
- USDA Sunflower butter can be utilize in the recipe
- USDA Frozen Bell Peppers/Onion blend can be utilized instead of fresh produce
- White mushrooms can be utilized instead of shitake mushrooms
- Noodles can be either frozen egg noodles or dry spaghetti, instead of making your own
Team: William Burks, Aylee Lane, Dylan Mauro, Garett Nelson, Eleanor Scharf
Coach: Erika Dolan [email protected]