Welcome to Jr Iron Chef VT
The Jr Iron Chef VT 2020 Competition on Saturday, March 14 is cancelled.
March 12, 2020 11:45AM
To our wonderful Jr Iron Chef VT community,
We write with the news that we have decided to cancel our Jr Iron Chef VT event on Saturday, March 14th, 2020. We promised you that we would monitor and respond to the unfolding reality of COVID-19, and in the past two days, that reality has changed. WHO has announced a global pandemic, many Vermont colleges have cancelled classes, and an additional case of the virus in Chittenden County has been confirmed.
The Vermont FEED partners, NOFA-VT and Shelburne Farms, take seriously our collective responsibility to those most vulnerable in our society. We are committed to helping to flatten the curve of this infection rate to slow the spread of the virus.
We want to acknowledge and honor the immense amount of work that the students, coaches, families, judges, sponsors, friends and organizations have invested in this event, and their sadness at the event’s cancellation. However, we also want to acknowledge that Jr Iron Chef is so much more than this culminating event. The heart of Junior Iron Chef VT has always been about celebrating and creating community through food, and this important work has already happened, as students have worked as teams to develop their recipes in the months leading up to the event. Despite the event’s cancellation, we are proud of the students and inspired by their energy and commitment. They make us hopeful about the future of our agricultural community here in the state of Vermont.
Thanks to all of you for your understanding. We are living in extraordinary times, and we all need each other.
The Junior Iron Chef Planning Team from VT FEED, a project of NOFA-VT + Shelburne Farms
If you have any questions, please contact us at: [email protected]
Jr Iron Chef VT is a statewide culinary competition organized by Vermont FEED challenging teams of middle and high school students to engage in improving their own health and the health of their community by creating nutritious, local dishes to inspire school meal programs. Registration is now closed for the 2020 competion. If you have already registered you may log in and manage your team(s) and recipe(s).
- March 14, 2020 • 9:00AM–3:30PM
- Champlain Valley Exposition, Essex Junction
- Admission: $3 per individual or $5 per family (up to 4 people)
- Morning heat: 9:30–11:00AM; awards 12:00–12:30PM
- Afternoon heat: 12:30–2:00PM; awards 3:00–3:30PM
- November 15, 2019: Early bird registration opens ($130 per team)
- December 13, 2019: Early bird registration closes / regular registration opens ($150 per team). Scholarship applications due.
- January 27, 2020: Registration closes.
- February 14, 2020: Recipe, final team information, and parent permission forms due.
- March 6, 2020: Lively Local form due (if your team is participating).
(If you previously signed up for Jr Iron Chef VT, log in with your existing account)