On-Farm Local Food Celebration & Movement Building Workshop: Green Mountain Orchards, Putney
Join Vermont FEED (a partnership project of NOFA-VT and Shelburne Farms) and the School Nutrition Association of Vermont this August to celebrate the connections between local food, farms, and school meals! We will host a series of regional on-farm workshops (public health conditions permitting) at farms throughout Vermont to build relationships, learn about what’s happening on the farm, and prepare a new menu item highlighting produce from the farm that can be featured on your menu during back to school season. And, as we look forward to the next school year, we will share updates about policies that will help build stronger, more equitable school meal programs that feature healthy, local food, and how we can strengthen our voice together.
Attendees will earn 3 hours of Professional Standards credit.
Workshop Logistics & Agenda:
This workshop will be held outside from 9:00AM–12:30PM, so please come prepared for the weather and uneven walking terrain during the farm tour portion of the workshop.
- 9:00–9:30AM Arrival & Welcome Treats & Introductions
- 9:30–10:15AM Farm Tour & Scavenger Hunt
- 10:30–11:00AM Local Purchasing Incentives in Vermont
- 11:00AM–12:00PM NLSP Dish Prep: Rainbow veggie wraps, featuring produce from the host farm!
- 12:00–12:30PM Lunch & Discussion
Full Series Workshop Dates:
- West Farm, Jeffersonville | Monday, August 2
- Cedar Circle Farm, Thetford | Wednesday, August 4
- Green Mountain Orchards, Putney | Thursday, August 5
- Berry Creek Farm, Westfield | Wednesday, August 11
- Laughing Child Farm, Pawlet | Thursday, August 12
This workshop is free for any school nutrition professional that would like to join. We will be capping registration at 12 attendees per site to be able to maintain social distancing, so please only sign up for one workshop.
Questions? Please contact Kayla Strom at [email protected] or call 802-434-7167.
Funding for this workshop series is generously provided by a USDA Farm to School Grant subaward from Food Connects.